Thursday, June 2, 2011

Adventures in Summer Reading

My Summer Reading Program began yesterday, and this evening I held my first storytime of the program. We talked a little about the theme ("One World, Many Stories") and what that means and we read three stories: On the Same Day in March: A Tour of the World's Weather by Marilyn Singer, Say Hello! by Rachel Isadora and How I Learned Geography by Uri Shulevitz. The kids especially loved Say Hello! because they enjoyed saying the words in different languages with me. I have around 150 kids signed up so far, which I'm not sure whether to be happy about or not. Unfortunately, I don't have numbers from last year to compare it with (the former librarian either didn't keep track, or didn't report her numbers except for event attendance).

Tomorrow we'll have a visit from Snowbird, a local news channel’s school closing spokesman, and all around nice guy in a big suit. I remember Snowbird from when I was a kid, eagerly checking the news when there was even the barest hint of snow on the ground, so I'm excited for his visit. Then on Saturday there's a magic show! It's all very exciting and slightly nerve-wracking, this being my first summer as a librarian. Here's hoping it all runs smoothly!

No comments:

Post a Comment